The 2016 United States Olympic Track & Field Team Trials is shaping up to have quite an Ashland University flavor.
No less than seven former AU athletes/coaches are listed at www.usatf.org under "status of entries" for the Trials, July 1-10 in Eugene, Ore.
- Kibwe Johnson is the No. 2 American men's hammer thrower at 76.95 meters. He was a three-time national champion (two outdoors, one indoors) in the hammer, discus and weight throw – all as a senior. Johnson still has the top seven all-time NCAA Division II marks in the men's indoor weight throw (all in the winter of 2007, top mark of 25.08 meters/82-feet-3.5), and eight of the top nine outdoor men's hammer throw distances (all in the spring of 2007, top mark of 73.77 meters/242-feet-0) in D-II history.
- Kurt Roberts has the second-best mark of American men's shot putters listed, at 21.57 meters. He was a three-time national champion (two indoors, one outdoors) in the shot for the Eagles, and was a seven-time All-American. Roberts still boasts the third-best D-II men's indoor shot put distance in history (19.80 meters/64-feet-11.5).
- Former Eagle Strength & Conditioning Coach A.G. Kruger is right behind Johnson in the men's hammer at No. 4 at 76.87 meters. Kruger, the throws coach at South Dakota, is aiming for his fourth appearance as a U.S. Olympian.
- Ryan Loughney's top effort of the season in the men's hammer stands at 69.62 meters. He was a five-time national champion (three outdoors, two indoors) in the hammer and weight throws, and an eight-time All-American.
- Drew Windle's top seasonal men's 800-meter run time is 1:45.65. He was an eight-time national champion and a 15-time All-American. Windle has three of the top eight men's 800 times in D-II indoor history.
- Katie Nageotte's top season mark in the women's pole vault coming into the Trials is 4.63 meters. She was a two-time national champion and a three-time All-American as an Eagle. Nageotte has three of the top nine indoor and top nine outdoor women's pole vault distances in D-II history.
- Carlin Isles has a top season mark of 10.15 seconds in the men's 100 dash, and may have the opportunity to go to Rio as both a sprinter and a member of the American rugby sevens team. He was a four-time All-American as a freshman.
The 2016 Summer Olympic Games are Aug. 5-21 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.