A successful and honors-filled senior season for Ashland University wide receiver Matthew Wilcox ended on Tuesday (Dec. 12) afternoon with Wilcox landing on the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Division II football Academic All-America second team.
Wilcox, despite a late-season injury, led the Eagles in 2017 with 707 receiving yards, and was second on the team in both receptions (37) and receiving touchdowns (five). He sports a 3.73 cumulative grade-point average in Exercise Science.
Earlier this fall, Wilcox became the second Ashland football player to be named the recipient of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Jack H. McAvoy Award, and also garnered CoSIDA Academic All-District and first-team All-GLIAC laurels.
Wilcox is the 16th Eagle football player to earn Academic All-America honors, and the fourth this decade.
ASHLAND UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAS
- Matthew Wilcox, 2017
- Adam Shaheen, 2015, 2016 (first-team)
- Eric Schwieterman, 2013
- Donnie Dottei, 2012 (first-team)
- Nick Bellanco, 2009
- Bubba Harris, 1997
- Chad DiFranco, 1996 (first-team), 1995
- Jeff Mowrey, 1995, 1994
- Jerry Spatny, 1993 (first-team)
- Tom Shiban, 1991 (first-team)
- Mark Braun, 1981 (first-team)
- Bruce Niehm, 1977 (first-team)
- Dan Bogden, 1976 (first-team)
- Ron Brown, 1974 (first-team)
- Mark Gulling, 1973 (first-team)
- Bud Boughton, 1972