Ashland University's football team just gained a "two-for" recruit – a player who not only is a son of former Eagle, but was coached in high school by a former Eagle.
Midview wide receiver Logan Bolin has signed with Ashland as part of the post-signing day 2016 recruiting class. Bolin is the son of former Eagle All-American running back Ray Bolin, and his prep head coach is former AU linebacker D.J. Shaw.
"Prior to this announcement, we had already decided that D.J. was going to be the Martinelli Coach of the Year, and be recognized at our spring game," said Ashland head coach Lee Owens. "Now, it just adds to that that his star player has decided to become an Eagle.
"You would think that, with the head coach being an alum and his dad being an alum, that we'd have a shot. The connections were just so strong."
Bolin earned three All-Ohio awards at Midview, and caught 82 passes for 1,370 yards and 21 touchdowns as a senior in 2015. Following his senior season, Bolin earned the 2015 Lorain County Golden Helmet award.
He also was a member of three Ohio playoff teams for the Middies.
Ray Bolin led the Eagles in rushing each year from 1985-87, and ran for 1,092 yards in 1986, when then-Ashland College made its first-ever NCAA Division II playoff appearance.
The following are bios for other players who committed after signing day:
- Andrew Barker, FB/LB, Ironton. Earned three varsity letters in football and one in golf.
- Rahim Benton, DL, Olentangy. Made three Ohio state playoff appearances and won two Ohio Capital Conference titles…Earned two varsity football letters.
- Bryce Obeng, LB, Firestone. Earned varsity letters in football (three), basketball (one) and track (one).
- Chase Rowe, S, Stebbins. Was first-team All-Ohio, first-team all-district and first-team all-league as a senior...Earned three varsity football letters and one each in wrestling and track.
- Tyler Stiers, S/RB, Marysville. Had 67 total tackles and an interception as a junior, and 75 total tackles and three picks as a sophomore…Earned second-team All-Central District in 2014…Earned three varsity letters in football and two in basketball.
- Sebastian Spear, DL, Parma. Had eight sacks and 75 solo tackles as a senior, and 10 sacks and 50 solo stops as a junior…A two-time all-conference selection…Two-year varsity letter winner in both football and wrestling.