The 2017 Purple & Gold Spring Game will be April 22 at 7 p.m. at Jack Miller Stadium/Martinelli Field.
That will be the conclusion of a very busy weekend for Ashland University's football program.
- On April 21 at 10 a.m., the annual Football Golf Outing will begin at Ashland Golf Club. It will be a scramble format with a shotgun start, and range and registration begin at 8:30 a.m. Golf outing and hole sponsorship registration are $125 for an individual, $500 for a foursome, $550 for corporate (includes a foursome and hole sponsor) and $100 for a sponsorship.
- Following the outing, there will be dinner and golf prizes at 3 p.m.
- Finally on April 21, at 7 p.m., there will be a Gridiron Club social, reverse raffle and live auction, also at the Golf Club. Among the auction items (subject to change) are an Ashland helmet signed by College Football Hall of Famers Dr. Fred Martinelli and Bill Royce, Cleveland Browns and Ohio State helmet packages, four Cleveland Cavaliers tickets, four Cleveland Indians tickets and more.
For more information on the golf outing, or to purchase a ticket for the social/reverse raffle, contact Kay Jenney at 419-289-5475 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prior to the spring game on April 22, at 5:30 p.m., there will be an invitation-only VIP reception at 5:30 p.m., followed by a Hall of Fame Dedication Ceremony at 6:30 p.m. for Ashland's two College Football Hall of Famers. The reception is in the VIP Room in the Robert Troop Center, and the dedication ceremony is for the two pillars created for both Martinelli and Royce.
During the reception, the 2017 special award winners – Brock Swonguer (Martinelli Coach of the Year) and Dan Scott (Golden Helmet Award) – will be introduced. Swonguer, a former All-conference linebacker for the Eagles, is the defensive coordinator at Whitehall Yearling High School, and Scott is a member of the Gridiron Club board of directors.
- The spring game itself will follow a similar format to last year's, as there will be a regular game format in the first half, 7-on-7 play for a quarter and a "rookie bowl" for a quarter.
- At halftime, there will be a Hall of Fame recognition for Martinelli and Royce, along with recognition of the Lee Owens Academic Award winner (junior center Dominic Giunta) and NFL Draft-bound tight end Adam Shaheen for his 2016 Academic All-American award.
Admission for the spring game is a donation to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Sponsors for the weekend's activities are Mansfield Distributing and Ohio Health (golf outing), the AU Gridiron Club (social/raffle/auction) and ProGrass (reception/pillars ceremony/spring game).